Friday, August 24, 2007

August 24 - Yakima to Mt. Rainer, Washington

Sometimes in life you witness God's sprinkle of blessings. Today was one of those days. Over the last week the RV has been having trouble starting. I'd turn the key to the start position and sometimes the engine would turn over, other times nothing would happen. I had noticed this getting worse this morning after it took 8 tries to start-but the car always started. I figured I'd have it looked at in Seattle on Monday after the weekend. After attending a talk by a Mt. Rainer National Park Ranger and going on a 1 mile hike we started toward our destination - Packwood, Washington. The car took more times than ever to start after the hike so I told the family we really needed an auto parts store in Parkwood to see if there was a battery. On the main strip of Parkwood was an auto parts store. I purchased the battery and they installed it, but the engine wouldn't start. The parts store also doubled as a repair shop, which was exactly what I needed. Keep in mind that I pulled up to this store at 5:02 as they were closing. However, the two gentlemen were kind enough to stay after and diagnose that my starter solenoid was the problem. The solenoid was coming apart and there was literally one thread of copper holding it together. It really should have broken a long time ago, one more bump and it would have gone. Praise God, they had the part and they installed it. I expressed my sincere appreciation for the owner and the other mechanic's time on a Friday night after hours. Although I was appreciative of God's blessing to me, the owner was a hero and that story is even more amazing. About one year ago a gentlemen had gone 4-wheeling in the forest area of these mountains and was caught in a snowstorm. The official search for him ended after two weeks with nothing found, the lost man being presumed dead. The lost man's uncle called the auto parts store owner (who is an avid snowmobiler) and they rounded up three snowmobiliers. Within a half a day they found the man, who was still alive. Not every day you meet a true hero.

No comments: