Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 29 - June 7 -Moab, Utah to Panguitch, Utah

On Saturday, June 7 we traveled from Moab to Panguitch, which took about 5 hours. One of the most interesting parts of the drive was crossing an exposed fault line where two tectonic plates come together. The geographic formations are impressive and unusual. If you are really interested in seeing the exposed fault, Capitol Reef National Park has better views of the fault. We elected to skip that park, we just couldn't fit it in. However, if you are driving interstate 70, there is an opportunity to view it right off the interstate.

The low part of the day (and probably the trip) occurred when I made a critical driving error. You would think that after towing a travel trailer for about one month, I would be quite accustomed to making wide turns. Unfortunately, today at the campground I lost my mind and took a turn too tight. The campground owners had placed some nice sharp rocks on the turn to create a natural barrier. As a result of my error, my travel trailer took the turn tight and the rocks ripped the sidewall of my tire and bent my rim. My older boys and I quickly jumped into action and had the spare on within 10 minutes. This is my sixth tire for the travel trailer, but only the first in an emergency setting. The others were changed as I noticed the wear getting too low. However, I have had to change a tire on the van in an emergency setting so I've received lots of practice changing tires. I've been blessed every time with helpful locals folks who helped me find places to get new tires.

No comments: