Saturday, July 7, 2007

Day 6 - Plymouth (July 6)

This morning (Friday) we woke up and decided to relax before seeing the sights in Plymouth. We went to the swimming lake and enjoyed the water. Seth, Levi, Brandon, and I tried to swim about 100 yards to a floating dock. Brandon being the only one with a flotation device. Brandon started by holding onto my shoulders, which isn't usually a problem. Unfortunately, he was scarred fish were going to bite him so he kept trying to climb up my back to get his feet as close to the surface as he could. That served to force me under. I could handle that until Seth cried, "My arms are tired I'm not going to make it!". Seth grabbed my shoulder and then I couldn't stay afloat. So I threw Brandon off of me (he can swim fine with his flotation device) and we all returned to shore. Thankfully, Seth didn't give up. We realized it was a mental problem more than a physical problem. Within 10 minutes Levi, Seth, and I made it to the dock and Seth needed no assistance. After our swimming adventure, we went to see the Mayflower in Plymouth. They have an exact replica of the Mayflower which was constructed in the 1950s and repeated the journey in 1957. Our RV is huge compared to what 102 people lived in for 3 months. I enjoyed talking with one of the actors on the ship who portrays a women who went across. Because she maintains her 1620 acting role, I couldn't explain where I lived. In those days the Potomac wasn't the Potomac, the Chesapeake wasn't named that either. The closest thing I could reference was Jamestown. We're in the Boston hotel room now, which is about 3 times the size of our RV. We'll tour Boston today and tomorrow and head up to Acadia on Monday.

No comments: