Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 14 - New Braunfels, Texas to Fort Stockton, Texas

Today we drove about 5 hours across what most people would consider emptiness. I really see why people appreciate the Shenandoah Valley if they come from the dessert. You could probably buy land for really cheap out here, but it looks like all the usable land has been purchased and folks installed windmills or oil rigs. The rest probably has little value. The population density of Pecos county is about 1.5 people/square mile (excluding the largest city, Fort Stockton). It's pretty barren and remote. Just for comparison, the population density of Rappahannock County in Virginia (very rural county) is 26 people/square mile. We drove about 100 miles and didn't see a single gas station. That almost got me in trouble. Thankfully, I had 20 miles to empty when I rolled into the gas station in Fort Stockton.
Tomorrow we head to Big Bend National Park. I will likely step off the internet grid and return in 3 days.
After 2 hours, I was finally able to upload Bria's video recording of our Skycoaster ride. The narration is well worth the 35 second clip (see below).

No comments: