Sunday, May 25, 2014

Days 15, 16, and 17 - Big Bend National Park

Saturday, May 24
We traveled from Fort Stockton to Big Bend National Park today. About 10 miles south of Fort Stockton, my low tire pressure sensor gave me an alarm. I'd like to give a shout out to the construction worker who left that nail in the road for me to puncture my tire. He allowed me to boost my confidence by re-establishing that I indeed can change a flat tire. A sincere thanks for Ford for giving me a full size spare. We turned around and got the flat tire repaired so we now still have a full size spare.
On the way to Big Bend we saw several road runners, I almost hit one but he flew to avoid getting hit. We also saw several little miniature dust tornadoes running through the desert. In fact one crossed the road right as we drove by and we were blown around by it.

Sunday, May 25
We began the day by leaving the campground at 8:30 and traveled an hour to the Chisos Mountains Visitor Center. We were the only people who attend the 9:30 Ranger-led nature hike. As we were getting started, a one year old bear walked right through our picnic area. We were probably 15 yards from him. The rangers intentionally try to scare the bear to train them that people are not friendly. The tourists were all happily taking pictures.
We drove another hour west to a beautiful canyon cut out by the Rio Grande river. The river is remarkably shallow, but the canyon is really impressive. We hiked the 1.6 mile trail to get further in the canyon and then on the way back, the kids waded across the river into Mexico (see post below). Bailey slipped and fell in so she went for a swim in the Rio Grande and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bria lost her flip flop in the very thick mud that lines the bottom of the river.

No comments: