Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day 18 - Big Bend, Texas to Carlsbad, New Mexico

As we relocated from Big Bend to Carlsbad today, we achieved several milestones: We crossed the 3,000 mile mark, we entered our seventh state, and we changed our third tire. This is also the first time on the 2014 trip that we are repeating a 2007 location (Carlsbad, New Mexico).

Without convenient internet over the last several days, I feel as though I have short changed my comments on Big Bend National Park. Although it is extremely far from any route most folks would travel, the park is worth visiting. If you like birds, there have been over 450 species spotted in the park. I saw several birds I have never seen, many having brilliant yellow, red, and orange colors. The park is a "paradise" for avid birders. The sunrises and sunsets are incredible, the night sky is amazing (it has some of the lowest light pollution in the US), and the opportunity to see other wildlife (bears and mountain lions) make this a fun park to explore.

Speaking of the night sky, Bria was absolutely terrified when we stopped to view the stars. I held her in my arms and she still couldn't handle the darkness. I guess we spent too much time talking about the dangers of bears and mountain lions because she was convinced one was going to grab her out there in the dark. Brandon and Bailey were absolutely amazed at the number of visible stars.


No comments: